Update: June 8th
On June 8th, the UVSS Board of Directors sent an open letter to UVic respectfully requesting the following changes to UVic’s COVID-19 response:
- Immediate partial tuition refunds and for BOG to consider partial tuition reductions for 2021;
- Improved accessibility of virtual classes;
- The introduction of physical resources for students;
- More frequent and transparent communication from UVic’s administration to students; and,
- Dedicated student representation on COVID-19 response committees or consultation on decisions impacting students.
We will be providing updates from subsequent meetings with UVic administration. If you have any questions, please contact our Director of Outreach and University Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Update: May 25
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. Starting May 19th, portions of the Student Union Building will be reopened with reduced hours. The health and safety of our staff, members, and customers remain our top priority and we thank you for working with us.
- Bean There will open 05/20/20 (Hours: 7am – 2pm)
- Several of our tenant businesses are open now as well (see their websites for hours)
- Munchie Bar will open on 05/25/20 (Hours: 8am-4pm)
- SUBtext/Zap will be taking online & phone orders soon (stay tuned for more details)
In accordance with recommendations from federal, provincial, and local health authorities, the UVSS requests that all guests actively practice physical distancing while inside and around the Student Union Building.
To keep you, our other guests and staff safe, we have increased the frequency of our cleaning practices in our building, are limiting access to certain areas, and implementing new practices in any open operation or service. We understand that this may present a challenge and take a little more time than usual, but we appreciate in advance your understanding and compassion.
Thank you, and we will get through this together.
Update : March 11
In response to the recent COVID-19 outbreak, UVic announced that all classes will be transitioning from face-to-face to alternative methods of instruction. The university remains open and more info can be found here. The UVSS continues to work with UVic to ensure that students’ needs are at the forefront of our university’s decision making.
The SUB is now closed, all UVSS events and Committee meetings are cancelled for the foreseeable future, and our Board meetings will be taking place virtually for the time being.
We urge all of our members to take care of themselves and others during these uncertain times. Please continue to check our social media for up-to-date info on how the UVSS will continue to support students. If you’re experiencing any issues with your courses or have any questions about UVSS Board meetings, please email Jon at email@example.com.