About this campaign
Shift Our Campus is a new campaign working to develop a wider campus community consciousness of how discrimination manifests, impacts, and shapes student life at UVic. We take an intersectional approach, looking at how discrimination based on gender, sexuality, ableism, classism, and the racialization of people work together to shape student life. Increasing collective consciousness of oppression pushes us to dismantle discrimination. Through this campaign we strive to shift the learning environment at UVic to become safer, more inclusive, and more equitable.
UVSS Anti-Asian Discrimination Survey
The UVSS is launching this survey to get a better understanding of the concerns of students who experience anti-Asian discrimination. The creation of this survey was initiated from student concerns about pandemic-related anxieties and anti-Asian racism.
Our aim is to determine what, if any, concerns Asian students may have regarding the fall return to campus. From the responses, the UVSS aims to advocate, implement, or improve the campus and community resources that best connect to respondents’ concerns.
If you experience distress at any point, or are seeking support, the following resources are available:
- 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) if you are dealing with suicidal thoughts or concerned about someone who may be.
- UVSS BIPoC Support Hub
- Supports for gender-based violence: https://www.antiviolenceproject.org/resources/links/
- 310Mental Health Support at 310-6789 (no area code needed) for emotional support, information and resources specific to mental health.
- S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Help Lines for culturally relevant help lines in Mandarin or Cantonese.
- The Vancouver Island Crisis Line: 1-888-494-3888
- KUU-US crisis line: 1-800-588-8717 (Indigenous-specific crisis support)
- The Victoria Sexual Assault Centre (VSAC): Access the 24-hour Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) via the Vancouver Island Crisis Line, 1-888-494-3888; for non-crisis VSAC counselling, support groups, or Victim Services call the VSAC service line 250-383-3232 or email email@example.com
- SupportConnect: confidential and free mental health support service for UVic students
- Toll-free (calls from North America) 1-844-773-1427
- International collect calls: 1-250-999-7621