All undergraduate students at the University of Victoria are members of the UVic Students’ Society (UVSS). Founded in 1964, the UVSS is a social justice based non-profit run by students, for students. The UVSS is separate from the University and runs a successful social enterprise that includes nine unique businesses. The students’ society exists to provide advocacy, representation, services, and events for its members. The UVSS works on issues affecting students, such as post-secondary funding, public transit, sexualized violence, campus sustainability, student employment, and affordable housing.
The Board of Directors offices in the SUB (opposite Munchie Bar) are the place to go for:
- Talking to your elected directors.
- Volunteering for campaigns or for the Food Bank and Free Store.
- Joining a UVSS committee.
- Getting FREE student swag!
- Directions if you are lost.
- Good times!
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your Director of Outreach and University Relations at email@example.com
The UVSS operates the Student Union Building (SUB) which houses nine unique businesses run by students, for students. These businesses are social enterprises – businesses run for a social good. All profits made at the following student-owned businesses go back to students in the form of advocacy, events, and services:
- Bean There Cafe – Grab & go food, Ali Baba pizza, sushi, bagels, muffins, breakfast sandwiches, frozen yogurt & coffee/tea.
- Catering & Conference Services – A convenient booking experience for your meeting; arrange both your room requirements and all of your catering needs!
- Cinecenta Movie Theatre – An eclectic mix of independent, documentary & foreign films, special events, as well as the best of Hollywood & damn fine popcorn!
- Felicita’s Campus Pub – Taps, food, live music & events.
- The Grill – Halal-certified shawarma, breakfast, dahl, curries, burgers, pasta & more – vegan & gluten free options, too!
- HFB – Health Food Bar – House-made lunch items, wraps, sandwiches, salads, fresh juice, smoothies, veggie/vegan cuisine & gluten free options.
- Munchie Bar – the best coffee on campus; vegan & gluten-free baked goods & ciabatta sandwiches.
- SUBtext – Books & Things. Buy & sell your textbooks/books, plus magazines, cards, gifts, bike accessories, snacks & drinks!
- Zap Copy –Digital printing, office supplies, past exams, button making, coil binding, photocopying, laminating, custom mugs, faxing, and poster distribution.
A democratically elected student board of directors governs the UVSS, runs all of its campaigns and events, manages the SUB, and oversees approximately 200 employees. The Board consists of eleven volunteer directors-at-large, an international student rep, five advocacy group representatives, and five full-time lead directors— the Director of Campaigns and Community Relations, the Director of Student Affairs, the Director of Finance and Operations, the Director of Events, and the Director of Outreach and University Relations.
Elections for these positions take place in March, with the exception of reps for the Gender Empowerment Centre, the Pride Collective, the Native Students’ Union, the Students of Colour Collective, and the Society for Students with a Disability (SSD). These groups elect their reps at the general meetings of each advocacy group.
The Board meets twice each month throughout the year and all students are welcome to attend. They generally start at 6pm, although exact dates, times, and locations can be found in the agendas. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info!
Here’s the Board meeting schedule for the 2020-2021 Board term!
Agendas and minutes can be found here.