June 29th, 2020
The UVSS wrote this on the unceded, unsurrendered territories of the Lekwungen and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples.
The UVSS stands in solidarity with LGBTQ+ students and celebrates Victoria’s Pride Week. We particularly recognize our queer BIPOC peers who unjustly face increased intersectional discrimination.
While we cannot join in solidarity this year for a march, Pride is so much more than an annual festival. It is a daily and deliberate act of acknowledging and celebrating diversity, while also finding community and belonging. We have included several resources below. Many of these resources were provided by affiliated groups such as the Gender Empowerment Centre, your advocacy group for self-identified women, non-binary, and gender non-conforming folks, and UVic Pride, your advocacy group for trans, queer and intersex students on campus and the broader community.
UVic Pride continues to offer regular programming in COVID-19. To learn more, visit prideuvic.com.
With respect and care,
Caleb, Dipayan, Dalal, Emily, Sarina, and Sebastian
2020-2021 UVSS Lead Directors
GEM List of Resources:
GEM Book Recommendations:
- Queer Heroes – by Arabelle Sicardi
- A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns – by Archie Bongiovanni & Tristan Jimerson
- Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars – by Kai Cheng Thom
Uvic Pride List of Books:
- Juliet Takes a Breath – Book by Gabby Rivera
- The City of Devi – Novel by Manil Suri
- Mundo Cruel – Book by Luis Negrón
- Life Is Wonderful, People Are Terrific – Book by Meliza Bañales
- The Color Purple – Novel by Alice Walker
- Labyrinth Lost – Book by Zoraida Córdova
- Anger Is a Gift: A Novel – Book by Mark Oshiro
UVic Pride + Martlet:
Events during the Pride Week