Have you changed your name because you are 2S, trans, non-binary, or gender non-conforming? Or because you got married? As of Nov 24th, there is now an option to update your OneCard to accurately reflect your name, thanks to UVSS advocacy!

Q, the Director of Events, was facing this exact issue and knows that other students are experiencing similar issues. They approached UVic to advocate for a more inclusive policy where students could have an ID that affirms their gender identity, at no cost.

Q writes, “When I first got my OneCard updated, I felt such gender euphoria and showed my OneCard to everyone in the office and sent photos to my loved ones. Many queer folks who have changed their name experience distress when they look at their IDs, their vaccine passports, or their academic transcripts. I’m happy I can be affirmed in who I am everyday when I bus to school or buy my lunch at the SUB. Thank you to the OneCard office and other UVic departments who collaborated to make this policy happen.”

2S, trans, non-binary, or gender non-conforming

If you have changed your name to reflect your gender identity, you can trade in your existing OneCard at no charge—even if you didn’t legally change your name! 

Married during your time at UVic

You can also replace your OneCard at no charge!

What limitations are there?

  • You can get this new cost-free card issued only once. If you lose your OneCard, you must pay the $20 replacement fee
  • No symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, repeating characters or punctuation, as our system has no ability to print special characters or symbols
  • No characters from different languages
  • No titles (e.g. professional or religious)
  • No offensive or suggestive words

How can you change your OneCard name?