Welcome to the UVSS Peer Support Centre!
A safer space created to be an inclusive and comfortable space for students from all walks of life.
Whether you are struggling with or have questions regarding mental health, are concerned for a friend, or need help accessing resources on or off campus, you can seek a first-point-of-contact at the Peer Support Centre.
Our trained student volunteers are here to listen, offering non-judgmental, empathetic and confidential support while helping fellow students navigate next-step resources and student life at UVic.
We’re open! Our hours are:
- In-person: Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 12:00-5:00pm
- We are located in the basement of the Student Union Building (SUB) in room B035.
- Online: Thursday and Friday from 6:00-10:00pm
- Join us virtually at https://uvsspeersupport.doxy.me/peersupportroom
If you have any questions or want to get in touch, email us at email@example.com
Have a look at our video below to learn more about what the Peer Support Centre is, how we can support you, and how to drop-in online!
Workshops: ReThink Your Mental Health Toolkit
The Peer Support Centre and UVSS ReThink Mental Health campaign are partnering to bring you a monthly workshop series to help add tools to your mental health toolkit!
These workshops are led by fellow students on topics chosen by students.
Join us in the SUB Upper Lounge, on the following Fridays from 3-4pm:
- September 24 – Boundary setting
- During Sexualized Violence Awareness Week – Let’s Talk About Boundaries: Creating, Recognizing, and Celebrating. The Peer Support Centre and ReThink Mental Health Campaign is excited to organize a peer-led workshop to help you gain the skills to recognize and create your own boundaries, to celebrate your boundaries and the boundaries of others!
- October 15 – Helping friends who are dealing with mental health
- Do you ever struggle with the words to say when your friend is having a bad day? Do you also search on google for ways to make your family feel better through rough times? Do you ever just wish that you knew what the right thing to do is to make your loved ones know that you are there for them? If you answered Yes to any of these then come and join our workshop “How to be a good bystander for someone struggling with mental health” and we can provide you with some tools for support.
- November 19 – Overcoming imposter syndrome
- Have you ever felt like an imposter at university? Join the ReThink Mental Health Campaign and the Peer Support Centre for a peer-led workshop exploring Imposter Syndrome. We will discuss where imposter syndrome comes from, signs to look out for, and what you can do about it.
- December 3 – Stress buster
- Mental Health workshop stress buster versions! Come and hang out, eat food, learn about ways to manage your stress and chat to peers. Bring your homework if you want, or just take a well deserved break to decompress.
You can expect food, conversation, and skill-building in a peer-led environment. Hope to see you there!
Find us on social media!
Volunteer with us!
Click the link below to download the application form, which includes description of the role, duties, benefits, required qualifications, and how to apply!
We accept applications on an on-going basis, though training takes place annually in mid- to late-August, currently in an online format.
We are currently done hiring for our 2021/2022 cohort.
Email us if you have any questions!