Over 40 different course unions represent UVic’s academic departments. Membership is open to students registered in any class of that department. Course unions plan academic events and social activities related to their area of study. Ask your department if there is a course union for your field of study, or check out this list of current course unions to get involved. If there isn’t one, and you’d like to start up a course union in your department, head to the Students’ Society Centre and talk to the Director of Student Affairs and Chair of Course Union Council.

The UVSS also has four Professional Development Unions (PDUs), which act as societies representing the interests of students in their particular faculty. The four PDUs are: Law, Engineering, Education, and Commerce.

Course Union Council (CUC)

Course unions and PDUs are able to access Academic Funding for on-campus academic events related to their specific area of study. Course unions and PDUs are also able to access publication funding for a publication related to their area of academic study. Publications exhibiting partisanship or religiosity are not eligible for the publication fund. To access these funds, course unions must complete and submit the forms located below to the Director of Student Affairs two days prior to the next CUC meeting, at which time the requests will be discussed and voted on by the Council. CUC is usually held the first Monday of each month. At these meetings, course unions are ratified and funding requests are discussed. CUC oversees the distribution of Academic, Publication and Travel Pool Grants. One representative from each course union is required to attend.


   Spring Term

  • February 8th: 4pm in Vertigo (Cancelled–see below)
  • March 8th: 4pm in Vertigo
  • April 5th: 4pm in B025 in the SUB Upper Lounge Board Room

Notice: Course Union Council on February 8th was cancelled due to extreme weather. Another meeting has been scheduled at February 20th at 3pm in Cinecenta. All travel pool, academic and publication applicants are advised that they must attend this meeting. If you have any questions or concerns please contact affairs@uvss.ca

*Registration Deadline for the Fall 2016 semester with funding is September 9th at 3pm. All course unions must have a representative attend the first Course Union Council meeting on September 14th to receive active course union status and funding.

**Base funding is allocated at the first meeting of every term. Travel Pool, Academic Fund, and Publication Fund grants are heard at the second meeting of every term. Applications are due the Friday before that meeting at 3 pm (e.g for the Fall term the deadline is September 30th at 3 pm)**