Base Funding

To receive base funding a club must be ratified at the first clubs council meeting of the term as that’s when all base funding is allocated (remember: a representative from the club must attend the meeting that the club is seeking ratification at). All clubs that are ratified at that meeting that request funding will receive base funding (usually $50-$100 depending on how many clubs there are).

This funding is deposited in your club’s budget account and can be used to pay for any club expenses except liquor or gift cards. Those are forbidden by UVSS Clubs policy. To access these funds you must submit a cheque requisition form . This funding remains in your account until the end of the fiscal year (April), at which point it is rolled over into a joint clubs account.

What are my other funding options?

In addition to this funding, clubs may apply for two types of grants:

Special Project Grants

Special project grants are available to all active clubs. Clubs may only receive a maximum of $1,500 in SPG funding per board term (May 1 – April 30). The cap for applications is $1,000, but all any request over $500 requires a two-thirds vote at Clubs Council. For more info please see the “Special Project Grant” page.

Travel Pool Funding

If your club is planning on doing any travelling for club or academic related purposes, you may apply for travel pool funding. Travel pool is overseen by Course Union Council, so all grant requests must be submitted at least one week before Course Union Council. The travel pool allows students to apply for the following amounts: $100 for individuals, $300 for groups of three or more. Anything over this amount must pass a 2/3 vote at Course Union Council.  Please see the Travel Pool page for more info.

How do I access this funding?

All UVSS funding is received through reimbursement – this process is called a cheque requisition. Basically, you purchase the goods or services upfront, submit receipts and a Cheque Requisition Form, and if it’s approved, the UVSS writes you a cheque. Please ensure you have adequate receipts or invoices in advance, otherwise your requisition may not be approved.

See the Cheque Req page for more info!


  • If you have received a donation, the cheque must be payable to The University of Victoria Students’ Society, NOT the name of your club. Put the name of your club in the memo.